Doosan Fuel Cell Signs an MoU on Biogas Fueled Fuel Cell R&D
Doosan Fuel Cell signed an MoU with Korea West Power and KEPCO E&C on ‘Pure Biogas(green hydrogen) fueled fuel cell R&D Project’ on Oct, 22 at Dongdaemun Doosan Tower in Seoul. Sungkyun Kim, Vice President of the Western Power Growth Business Headquarters, Donggyu Kim Director of KEPCO E&C, and Seungjun Lee, Managing Director of Doosan Fuel Cell participated in the ceremony.
Doosan Fuel Cell decided to start the project with an aim to respond to the government hydrogen economy and CHPS(Clean Hydrogen Energy Portfolio Standards) as the project attempts to leverage biogas. Biogas* can be collected from solid waste landfills and livestock manure holding ponds. 80% biogas produced annually is fed to power generation and other uses and remaining 20% is not used.
*Biogas is produced by anaerobic digestion or decomposition of organic waste such as sewage, food waste, or agricultural waste. Biogas is a mixture of 60% methane and 40% carbon dioxide.
Three companies will develop a green and efficient energy project which feeds pure biogas from unused biogas into hydrogen fuel cells directly. Doosan Fuel Cell will develop hydrogen fuel cell technology for pure biogas and supply main equipment whereas Korea West Power and KEPCO will manage the entire project and build pretreatment facilities.
“By concentrating methane in biogas and capturing carbon dioxide, it can be used as natural gas. However, this process requires to invest additional time and cost,” said a source from Doosan Fuel Cell. “We expect this project will open an opportunity of a new business model as biogas can work as a clean and efficient energy source.”
Doosan Fuel Cell boasts fuel flexible hydrogen fuel cells ranging from green hydrogen, byproduct hydrogen, NG/LNG to LPG with an aim to meet different customers’ needs.
- Doosan Fuel Cell Teams up with SK Energy on Promoting Hydrogen Charging Fuel Cells
- Doosan Fuel Cell Becomes the First Korean Company to Export Hydrogen Fuel Cells